Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year, New Projects, New Furniture

Hopefully everyone had a wonderful New Year's Day. We had a nice, low-key day....a much needed restful day.

Did you make any resolutions?  I'm not typically someone who declares specific resolutions but I do find myself thinking of some ideas I'd like to see take place in the new year.

1.  Completely finish more UFO's.  To tell the truth, I'm impressed with all the projects I DID finish completely during 2014, both brand new projects and UFO's that have been piling up waiting on a few (or many) final touches.  I hope to continue this trend in 2015.  It really is a good feeling to see your projects completed and ready to use or gift to that special loved one.

2.  Shop more from my own stash.  In a perfect world I'd like to only buy what is needed to finish a project (and really limit those "gotta have additions to my existing stash").  I didn't do a terrible job of this in 2014 but there is definitely room for improvement.  I really do need to limit my spending this new year. :)

3. I'd like to keep track of what I buy plus keep a count of yardage that is used.  The goal is to use more than I buy and if I use my stash more, then the numbers should look good at the end of 2015.

The first project for this year is something I designed myself using the Learning Curve Ruler.  I'm calling it Serene Garden and it will be offered as a one day class at the shop where I now work part-time.  Prior to the new year, I only had 6 blocks made. Since Jan. 1st, I've finished the 25 needed blocks for a lap size quilt.

Here it is on my design wall prior to borders....

I'm currently in the process of adding two borders to make a finished size of 72" x 72". Details, including instructions will be shared in a future post.

Now to switch topics to furniture. Since the new year, we have added some much needed furniture.  We have been making do with very little for quite some time and I've been dreaming of one day having enough seats for our local "living close enough to drop by" family of five to sit in the same room at the same time. We have a local "scratch and dent" store that often has quality furniture offered at deep discounts. With a house full of dogs we know better than to spend a fortune on furniture. For New Year's they advertised a BOGO sale.  Although we didn't have room or really need two sofas....that's what my husband insisted on buying.  They don't match, but nothing in my home does anyway.  He first decided on this one for "him"....it has two manual recliners.  Not bad for $500 when it retailed in perfect condition for $1,800.

Now we were eligible for something FREE.  Ray then picks this one out for ME...because it has electric recliners....controlled with the touch of a button.

Remember me saying there really wasn't room for two sofas?  Remember Ray insisting there WAS room?

Well, technically there was room......just as long as we never use both of the recliners in MY sofa.  Hahaha. Oh well, they are both nice and comfortable regardless.

I better scoot and finish those borders.....until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment