Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sew Sweet Simplicity Free BOM Block 1

I told myself I wouldn't start a new project the rest of the year....oops....I just couldn't help it. :)

This Block Of The Month only lasts 5 months and you have a choice of making a 4 block or 6 block total quilt. There are many other options involving this free BOM but you will need to check it out yourself for all the details.  LINK

Originally I planned to use my stash of 30's Repros and even make the option that includes some simple applique but then I remembered that I still didn't have my computer fixed which meant I couldn't print the applique patterns.  Time to rethink and shop my stash again.

New train of thought....sorry for the poor lighting....picture doesn't show true colors.

One option suggested by the designer was to use a large print in the center of each block rather than doing applique.  I've had the large red, black, white and grey floral piece in my stash for a little while and thought it would be perfect.

Although the designer shared excellent, detailed instructions for cutting and piecing the block, I decided I wanted to do ALL the cutting using my Accuquilt Go.  This meant I had to spend a few minutes figuring out the sizes needed and what dies to use.  If anyone wants to know the dies needed just leave a message in the comments section and I will ask permission from the designer to share that information.

Let the cutting begin..

Well, THAT'S not going to work.....the corners of the snowball blend in too much with the large floral I wanted to use....

I could rearrange the fabrics I planned to use and cut everything out again (all the small pieces) OR I could use everything that was already cut and just switch out the one large floral piece (much less time and work involved).....

Yes....I must admit that the solid black center looks much better than the large floral.  Of course I can always use the large floral fabric as a border....time will tell.

I can call it complete as it is now OR I could add a simple flower design applique in the center using a flower die and my Accuquilt cutter. I think I'm going to wait on making that decision.  It will be simple to add later if I choose to do so.  For now I consider myself finished until the next block pattern is released next month.  This Block only took one morning to start and finish so I don't really feel guilty in deciding to add this NEW project to my goal of finishing UFO's for the remainder of the year. :)

It's not too late to sign up for this free BOM if you would like to participate.  Let me know if you decide to do it along with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa, Nice to meet you! I have joined in on this but haven't finished yet. Your block is lovely, it's such fun to see the different fabric choices. Great Job!
    xxxsusie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you also! Awww....go ahead and jump in....hee hee. It's not a huge commitment which is the only reason I went ahead and decided to do it.

      Delete