Monday, July 7, 2014

Simply Classic Table Runner Pattern

My 4th of July weekend was mainly spent in my sewing room.  My daughters all had plans to celebrate with their friends so dear hubby and I spent a relatively quiet weekend.

One evening I pulled out my little box of scrap 3 1/2" triangles and another little box holding my scrap 2" squares and started to play.  This is the result of my playtime....

Simply Classic by Theresa Litz
18" x 42" Table Runner
Supplies Needed:

24 - Red 3 1/2" Half Square Triangles (Accuquilt Go Die #55009)
24 - Neutral 3 1/2" Half Square Triangles
     *Other Cutting Techniques:  Cut 3 7/8" squares, then cut on the diagonal once to get 3 1/2" Half                                                       Square Triangles.  
       Of, if using the Easy Angle Ruler, cut HST's from 3 1/2" wide strips of fabric.

48 - Brown 2" squares (Accuquilt Go Die #55022)
48 - Neutral 2" squares
   
Borders:
3 - 1 1/2" x Width Of Fabric strips Brown for inner border (Accuquilt Go Die #55024)
3 - 1 1/2" x WOF strips Neutral for middle border
3 - 1 1/2" x WOF strips Red for outer border


1)  Sew Red and Neutral 3 1/2" HST's together.

Make 24 Red and Neutral Blocks....once sewn together, they should measure 3 1/2" square.

Press toward the red fabric.





2)  Sew a Brown and Neutral 2" Square together.  Press toward the brown fabric.

Sew the Brown and Neutral 2" squares into 4-patch units.

Make 24 - 4-patch Blocks....once sewn together, they should
measure 3 1/2" square.





3)  Using your pieced 3 1/2" Red/Neutral HST Squares and your 3 1/2" Brown/Neutral 4-patch Blocks.  Assemble as per diagram.

Make 12 - once sewn together, this unit should measure 6 1/2".






4)  Assemble 4 of these 6 1/2" Blocks per diagram.

Make 3 - once sewn together, this block should measure 12 1/2"






5)  Sew the 3 completed 12 1/2" blocks together.


6)  Brown (First) Border

Using two -  1 1/2" WOF Brown strips, cut 2 strips that are 36 1/2" long and sew to both long sides of table runner.

Then using remaining 1 1/2" WOF Brown strip, cut 2 strips that are 14 1/2" long.  Sew to both short sides.

7)  Neutral (Middle) Border

Using two -  1 1/2" WOF Neutral strips, cut 2 strips that are 38 1/2" long and sew to both long sides.

Then with remaining 1 1/2" WOF Neutral strip, cut 2 strips that are 16 1/2" long and sew to both short ends.

8)  Red (Outer) Border

Using two - 1 1/2" WOF Red strips, cut 2 strips that are 40 1/2" long and sew to both long sides.

With remaining 1 1/2" WOF Red strip, cut 2 strips that are 18 1/2" long and sew to both short ends.

Now just quilt and bind in your desired style.

Would you like to experiment with your own color choices?  Copy and print this blank version that I created just for that purpose.


After completing this project, I am wishing that my scrap box had held enough blue scraps to have exchanged the brown for blue...then I would have a lovely Patriotic table runner for the next holiday.  Oh well, I guess I can always make another one. :)

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. I printed out this pattern however; as it explained, it was made with scraps. I want to make it but am not able to decipher approximately how much material I would need. Can anyone help me? Please let me know one way or another asap. I'd like to start it soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete