Thursday, July 10, 2014

Austin's Birthday Quilt Show and Tell

Back in January my grandson Austin celebrated his 13th birthday.  I started having difficulty accessing my blog to post updates just about the time I was getting ready to reveal his birthday quilt to all of you.  The reveal is a few months late, but hope you enjoy it anyway.

Benartex put out an adorable line of fabrics called "Buried Treasure".  Making a quilt for a 13 year old boy can be difficult...he's not a kid anymore, but not quite a man either.  I felt this fabric line was bright, fun and "cool" enough for a teenager but not too childish.

This is a picture I took one morning as the sun was shining through the window and hitting the quilt so beautifully while on the quilting frame.

The quilting design I used is called Fern Gully by Urban Elementz.  I think it looks a little bit like seaweed or maybe even ocean waves, or palm trees on the tropical islands.....perfect!

How the quilting design shows up on back...


Hanging over my banister before boxing it up to mail to Tennessee.

Isn't SKYPE a wonderful thing?  Otherwise, this Grandma would not have been able to watch her grandson as he opened this special birthday gift.  

I must admit, it is a bit funny when I realize that I'm taking a photo of my computer screen in order to get a photo of Austin opening his gift.  Can you see me in the bottom left corner holding my camera?  hahaha

Family members hold the quilt up behind him.....

Thankfully my oldest daughter (and Austin's mom) was using her camera also and was able to capture him reading the label on back....

Close-up of label....

My favorite photo.....

Austin made a comment to his mom that the quilting made it look like the water was moving in waves on his quilt.  Now, in my opinion, if a 13 year old boy notices the quilting on his gift, then he is ONE SPECIAL GRANDSON and will probably be the recipient of more quilts through the years from this Grandma!!!!

Until next time...keep quilting and sewing!

2 comments: