Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Design Challenge - Sashing

As I searched through my fabric stash for something suitable to use between the rows of houses and trees (including a top strip and bottom strip), I knew I wanted green, and I knew I needed something to lighten up the darkness of all the house blocks.  I pulled out a lime green with little purple flowers and hoped I had enough.

I decided to cut strips 3 1/2" x WOF, giving me a finished 3" sashing between the rows of houses.

You will need five sashing strips that measure 3 1/2" x 48 1/2" long.....( if seams were sewn with an accurate scant 1/4").  If you are worried, then measure your rows to determine exactly how wide you need to make them. :) :)

If you cut seven 3 1/2" x WOF strips of fabric then you will have a gracious plenty with pieces to toss into your scrap basket.  Having said that, I must admit that I had JUST enough fabric to cut not seven, but only SIX 3 1/2" x WOF strips.  I could have changed my plans and cut the strips narrower, but I really wanted that wider prayed I wouldn't make any mistakes and could squeeze by with JUST enough. :) :)

It worked....and here is a picture of the scraps I had left over when all was said and done.....

Speaking of scrap baskets, as I was sewing, I turned around and spotted this precious sight.  My Talia (one of my house full of tiny fur babies...a Mi-Ki) curled up and sleeping peacefully on top of a pile of scraps in a basket next to my rocking chair.  She is 9 years old and weighs only 4 lbs.  She has plenty of beds to choose from, but obviously none compare to a pile of scraps. :)

My goodness, all that's left to do with this Design Challenge is to add the borders and quilt it.  There are a few ideas running through my head....I just have to settle on which one to do. :)  Once that decision is made, I'll share it with you!

Stay warm and happy quilting!


  1. That sashing really does brighten up the rows of houses. Looking good!

    1. Thanks Kathy! The blocks were so dark and needed some umph. Had I not been using the "design challenge blocks" given to me...I think I probably would have used lighter, brighter colors in the construction of each "miniature quilt" so they would pop off the darker houses.